If you are looking for good health, a disease-free life, more energy, and longevity, you should think of returning to nature. Moringa oleifera is a plant that grows widely in South Asia and has been part of traditional medicine for thousands of years. The plant is commonly known as “drumstick” and is a powerhouse of bioactive plant compounds and antioxidants.
Many of its health benefits have been confirmed by the scientific community, but it is believed that many more are still to be studied and discovered.
We bring you 7 reasons why you should add both the leaves and fruits (pods) of this unique plant to your diet.
Both the leaves and the pods of the drumstick plant are rich sources of so many types of vitamins and minerals. In fact, its leaves are packed with more nutrients than the pods. Despite this, just 1 cup of the fresh pods supply up to 157% of your RDA of vitamin C.
Just 1 cup of fresh leaves offer the following nutrients:
- Vitamin B6 – 19% of your daily allowance
- Vitamin A – 9%
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) – 11%
- Vitamin C – 12%
- Proteins – 2g
- Iron – 11%
- Magnesium – 8%
The dried leaves of drumstick are available as dietary supplements in the West. But it will be best to grow the plant in your home to enjoy its natural benefits.
1. Stronger Bones
Consuming Moringa oleifera can help improve your bone density. It is packed with iron and calcium, which helps in not only preventing bone density loss, but it also strengthens your bones.
You should especially give it to growing kids for stronger and better bone growth. It also helps boost your physical stamina.
2. Anti-Cancer Properties
As already mentioned, drumsticks have high amounts of antioxidants that fight harmful free radicals. They further help prevent carcinogen formation.
Beta-carotene and vitamin C are two examples. But this plant also has powerful antioxidants called chlorogenic acid and quercetin. They act by negating free radical activity in your body.
Drumsticks’ anti-cancer properties help prevent tumor development and cancerous cell growth.
3. Giving Relief from Headaches
You can also use the plant’s root to get relief from headache. Take its roots and extract its juice. Mix the juice and jaggery in equal amounts and take it. You will get almost immediate relief from the ache.
4. Treating Eye Problems
The drumstick plant can also address many eye problems, including conjunctivitis. Take some leaves, grind them and apply the paste on your eyes. If you mix the leaves’ juice with honey and apply as eyeliner, it will help cure corneal disorders. The same treatment can also help improve eye swelling.
5. Lower Blood Sugar
If you are diabetic and can’t keep your blood sugar levels under control, Moringa oleifera can be a natural way to manage your diabetes. If your blood sugar levels remain uncontrollable for a long time, it can increase the risk of so many types of health conditions including heart disease.
Many studies show that using the drumstick plant has positive benefits in lowering blood sugar levels. Most of these studies are conducted on animal subjects. There are however some studies based on human subjects too.
According to one study involving 30 women, who were given 7g of leaf powder daily for 3 months, the subjects had their blood sugar levels reduced by 13.5%.
6. Purify Blood
The moringa pods and leaves are both great foods when it comes to purifying blood. You can enjoy it a soup, which has been shown to help fight acne and other skin problems.
Moringa juice can be applied on your acne or pimples and it will heal the area fast. The juice also has antibiotic properties.
7. Anti-Aging Food
The high levels of vitamin A in the plant help in inhibiting the natural process of aging. It also helps strengthen your immune system and improve vision.
Most people don’t know much about moringa. Add this natural food to your diet and you will notice dramatic changes in your health.
USES OF DRUMSTICK PLANT:-
- Firstly, the tender fruits are used to prepare curries.
- In South Indian culture, matured drumsticks are used as an ingredient in ‘Sambar’
- The tender leaves are rich in Iron hence used in curries and soups even.
- Many other cultures also use the pods to prepare varieties of recipes.
MEDICINAL/HEALTH BENEFITS OF DRUMSTICKS:-
Now, let us move to the most important part of our topic. It is ‘medicinal and health benefits of drumsticks’. Many of us dont know that thsi very plant is filled with curative properties. So, have a look on the following ones-
1. FOR HEADACHE-
- Take the root of Drumstick plant and extract its juice.
- Mix equal amount of its root juice and jaggery.
- Give nasya of 1 drop of this mixture.
- It is highly beneficial in headache.
2. FOR EYE DISORDERS-
- In case of conjunctivitis, grind its leaves and tie the cake of the paste on the eyes.
- Mix 50 gm juice of its leaves in 2 teaspoon of honey; apply this as an eyeliner. It cures corneal disorders.
- In case of swelling of eyes; mix equal quantities of the juice of its leaves and honey.
- Put 2 drops of each in the eyes.
- It cures eye pain and swelling.
3. FOR BRONCHIAL ASTHMA-
- Extract the juice of Drumstick plant.
- Mix equal quantities of drumstick’s juice and ginger juice.
- Give 10-15 gm of this twice a day to the patient.
- It cures Bronchial Asthma.
4. FOR EPILEPSY-
Give 20-50 decoction of its roots; twice a day. it helps to reduce convulsions.
5. FOR DYSPEPSIA-
- Grind equal quantities of Drumstick’s root, mustard and ginger.
- Prepare tablets of 1 gm each.
- Give 2 tablets twice a day to the patient.
- Or, boil 2 teaspoon of its root in 400 ml of water.
- Boil till the water reduce to 1/4th.
- Give this to the patient for gargles.
6. FOR DOG BITE-
- Mix and gring equal quantities of drumstick leaves, ginger, turmeric, salt and black pepper.
- Apply this on the swollen area.
- It cures swelling and fever.
- Give 10-15 gm of this mixture to the patient twice a day.
7. FOR GOUT-
Massage the affected area with its seed oil. It is beneficial in curing gout and joint pain.
8. FOR FEVER-
Boil 20 gm of its fresh root in 100 ml of water. Give this to the patient regularly. It is helpful to cure long and old fever too.
9. FOR DIGESTION:-
- Mix 2 gm ginger root in 10 gm juice of its root.
- Give this to the patient twice a day.
- It enhances the digestive power.
10. FOR INTERNAL SWELLING-
- Grind its bark in water.
- Give 10 gm of this solution to the patient.
- It cures all types of swellings.
- Its bark is also known as Indian penicillin.
So, in this way we saw numerous benefits of Drumstick plant. It is really an amazing thing. Even I was also surprised that this very plant can be such a nectar. Well, but as I discuss in my every article; everything produced by Mother Earth is always beneficial and somehow good for lives. So, go green and live well!
Where to buy the plant in Europe: http://www.floricolturailmiogiardino.it/eshop/it/piante-del-benessere-e-insolite/194-piante-di-moringa-oleifera-miracle-tree-drumstick.html
The bio shop: http://www.terraelements.de/Superfoods-Rohkost/Moringa/